2 tablespoons dried porcini or chantelle mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 ribs celery with leaves, coursely chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and coursely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pound mushrooms (I used oyster, shiitake, and enoki)
1 tablespoon flour
8 cups (64 ounces) beef broth or vegetable broth
1 cup whole barley
2 teaspoons salt
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in enough hot water to cover for a half hour. Strain and reserve the water.
2. Coarsely chop the reconstituted mushrooms.
3. Heat the olive oil in a stockpot and sauté the onion, celery, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, carrot, garlic, and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Lower the heat and add the flour, stirring every 30 seconds for about 5 minutes or until thick.
5. Add the broth.
6. Turn the heat to high, and add the reserved mushroom water and barley. Stir well and add salt to taste.
7. Simmer, covered, for about an hour or until the barley is tender and the soup is thickened, stirring often.
8. Add additional chopped parsley, mix thoroughly, and adjust seasonings.